Dogs are inherently social creatures and require plenty of love, patience, and care. That being said, there are some ways you can improve your relationship with your dog to become one of trust and friendship. Bonding with your dog isn’t complicated, but should be prioritized nonetheless.
Below are some ways you can try bonding with your dog.
- Spend time together. Time spent with your dog is crucial to keep them happy.
- Train your dog. Teach them some tricks to give them mental stimulation
- Play! Playing games is scientifically proven to bring dogs and humans closer. Exercise
- Stay calm. Maintaining a calm presence makes your dog feel safe around you.
- Pet them. Grooming and/or petting your dog is a great way to show your dog affection. See what they like best whether it is belly rubs, ear scratches, or chin rubs.
- Take note of their preferences. Each dog is different, so you should take time to learn what they do and don’t like. Read your dog’s body language to check for signs of anxiety or stress and remove them from or prevent situations that you know cause your dog distress. Pay attention to any favorite activities, foods, or toys to earn the affection of your pup.
- Create a routine. Dogs are creatures of habit and benefit greatly from a routine when it comes to bathroom breaks, feeding times, and bedtime. Routine makes your dog feel comfortable and know what to expect which builds trust.
- Give them space. Dogs need peace and quiet from time to time. The best way to give them this space is to set up a quiet space such as a den, crate, or dog bed where they can take naps and get away from loud houseguests.
We hope these bonding tips help, but if you are still struggling with any behavioral issues that make it difficult to improve your relationship with your dog, a professional dog trainer may be a good choice. We have plenty of experience correcting these issues and would be happy to help you and your pup! We offer private one-on-one training, group classes, and training camp. Contact us today to discuss how we can assist.